Potential Penn applicants should review the videos of our recent Goldwater recipients discussing the application process:
2022 Goldwater Scholarship information session featuring 4 Penn Goldwater Scholars (Penn login required)
Before applying, please review Penn's 2023-2024 Goldwater slide deck presentation.
The Goldwater Foundation awards undergraduate scholarships to sophomores and juniors who have outstanding potential, an exceptional academic record (generally 3.85 or higher overall GPA, but extensive research and publications can compensate if GPA is close to 3.85), and intend to earn a PhD or Master's degree in a STEM field and pursue a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering. Each scholarship provides up to a maximum of $7,500 annually for up to two years of undergraduate study.
Only scientists should be asked to serve as Goldwater recommenders. PIs, post-docs, and faculty at Penn or other universities are acceptable recommenders. Graduate students are NOT suitable recommenders. Applicants should review this Goldwater recommendation writing guidance to determine the most appropriate scientists to serve as your recommenders. Applicants should also provide this guidance to your recommenders when you ask them to write on your behalf.
(NOTE: All sophomores and juniors planning a research career in STEM are eligible, and Transfer students are especially encouraged to apply since Goldwater permits Penn to submit a 5th nominee if the student transferred to Penn. Starting this year, Goldwater permits Penn to submit a 6th nominee if the student is a Veteran of the US Armed Forces.)
Goldwater applicants should complete the Pre-Application at https://goldwater.scholarsapply.org/ as soon as possible to obtain access to the full Goldwater application! Potential applicants may view a pdf of the full 2024 Goldwater application.
Penn Application (including all recommendation letters) Deadline: November 28, 2023, 4:00pm, US Eastern Time
Penn’s Application Process
The Goldwater Scholarship accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply to be one of Penn’s nominees, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of November 28, 2023, 4:00pm, US Eastern Time.
- Complete your Student Profile and Goldwater pre-application at https://scholarsapply.org/barrygoldwater/ as soon as possible.
- Schedule an appointment with Dr. Genser at https://www.curf.upenn.edu/profile/genser-dr-wallace
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation, begin a CURF Fellowships Nomination Request for the Goldwater Scholarship, where you will be able to request letters of recommendation from your recommenders
- Goldwater Application Submission Process UPDATED:
- Goldwater applicants must submit BOTH the CURF Fellowships Nomination Request form on the CURF website AND complete and submit the Goldwater application (research essay, short answers, and all other materials) on the Goldwater website by Penn's November 28, 2023, 4:00pm deadline to be considered for nomination
- NEW for Fall 2022 applicants: When the CURF Fellowships Nomination Request form requires that you upload "the materials requested on the relevant page on CURF's Fellowships Directory" please upload these documents ONLY in the following order:
- A pdf of your unofficial Penn transcript (DO NOT upload official transcripts)
- A pdf of your resume
- Transfer students should also upload their unofficial transcript from their previous university. (DO NOT upload official transcripts) Transfer students who only have a pdf of their official transcript from their previous university should upload that pdf
- Goldwater applicants should consult with their PI to determine the National Science Foundation subject sub-area listed at https://goldwaterscholarship.gov/eligibility/ that their research most closely aligns with
- Interviews will be conducted with applicants being considered for endorsement
- Nominated students will receive further instructions
Letters of Recommendation
The Goldwater Scholarship requires three recommendations. All should be directly related to the applicant's math, science, or engineering focus. Applicants register their 3 preliminary referees on the Goldwater application site, but request up to 5 actual letters using the CURF Fellowships Nomination Request form.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
3539 Locust Walk, 3rd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104
You may schedule an appointment with Dr. Genser