The Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fund was established by the Will of Dolores Zohrab Liebmann and is administered by JPMorgan, Trustee. Mrs. Liebmann was the daughter of a prominent Armenian intellectual, writer and statesman and was married to one of the owners of a successful American business. She supported students and educational and charitable organizations during her lifetime. Mrs. Liebmann's primary concern, as expressed in her Will, was to attract and support students with outstanding character and ability who hold promise for achievement and distinction in their chosen fields of study. The trustees welcome applications from students of all national origins who are United States citizens.
Penn has been invited to submit 3 students to the national competition. Internal applications are due on November 27, 2023.
- Fellowships are available to students who are currently enrolled in and pursuing a graduate degree at a designated institution of higher learning located in the United States of America. Undergraduate students are no longer qualified candidates.
- The program of study being pursued by the candidate may include any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture or other formal professional training).The selection committee has a strong preference for supporting scholarly endeavors.
- The candidate must have received a baccalaureate degree at the time of application and have an outstanding undergraduate record.
- The candidate must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- The candidate must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- The candidate may be of any national descent or background.
- The amount of each Fellowship will cover actual tuition costs plus an $18,000 annual stipend to be allocated towards room, board, and ordinary living expenses, as well as any income taxes thereon.
- The recipient of a Fellowship shall be known as a Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellow.
- Fellowships are awarded annually. Each Fellow MUST APPLY FOR A RENEWAL of his or her fellowship by March 30 of the following year in accordance with the terms in effect at the time the fellowship is awarded. (No reminder will be sent by the Fund or by the University of Pennsylvania). Fellowships will be limited to a maximum of three years.
- Awarded fellowships may not be deferred.
- A Fellowship may be canceled at any time if a Fellow engages in misconduct affecting the Fund, breaches any of these rules, or provides false information to the Fund either directly or indirectly. The Fund is the sole arbiter of this term and the University of Pennsylvania takes no stance and will provide no mediation.
Penn Application Instructions:
This internal Penn application requires 1 letter of recommendation from a professor (not a postdoc or lecturer) who has taught or worked closely with you. You will request this through the application process, but please alert your preferred recommender as soon as possible so as to give your recommender ample time to submit letters of recommendation before the November 20 Penn Deadline. Penn will require additional letters, including an optional letter from the Dean of your Graduate School or your Department Chair, if you are nominated.
Please prepare the following:
- A completed version of the foundation's application. For now, you may omit the financial aid information and tax returns.
- Most current CV
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Copy of graduate exam scores, or a statement explaining why these were not needed.
- A Statement of Purpose up to three pages long (double spaced) which considers the relationship between your graduate level study and your intended personal and/or professional goals. Your Statement of Purpose must include a 10-15 line abstract at the top (included in the three pages) that explains, in LAYMAN’S terms, the essence of your proposed topic of study or dissertation, the methodology of its treatment and its anticipated impact on your field of study.
Once that is prepared, visit the Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Internal Application to request your letter of recommendation and submit your application.
Please note that official transcripts, official copies of test scores, FAFSA, School Financial Aid Summary and tax returns (along with a letter from the Dean of your Graduate School or your Department Chair) will only be required if you are chosen as one of the three institutional nominees.