STaRS is a dynamic and focused program that is designed to promote access to graduate education for traditionally underrepresented students in science and medicine. STaRS provides scholars with the opportunity to participate in research and enhances skills required for successful entrance and completion of a graduate program or an MD/PhD program in the biomedical sciences.
Each STaRS participant is assigned a faculty mentor and participates in biomedical research projects in a broad range of topics, including heart, lung and blood research. In addition, the STaRS program includes journal clubs, research skill-building seminars and workshops, career discussions and workshops focused on special topics such as oral and written skills, resume and abstract writing, and applying to graduate program or an MD/PhD program in the biomedical sciences. Scholars also enjoy social activities in Boston.
As part of the STaRS program, research scholars will receive:
- $4,800 stipend for program participation
- Round trip travel to Boston for out-of-state students
- University housing (apartment style dorms)
To apply click here.
- Racial/Ethnic Minorities (African Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Hispanic/Latino Americans, and U.S. Pacific Islanders), which have a longstanding history of underrepresentation and continuing efforts,
- Students with disabilities (defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities), and
- Students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be a rising junior or rising senior at the start of Summer 2019 and currently enrolled in a degree program, part-time or full-time, leading to a Bachelor’s degree.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Have an interest in biological research
- Have some prior research experience
- Demographic Information
- Educational Background
- A personal statement of no more than 4000 characters (approximately 600 words)
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- Letters of recommendation from two academic references to be submitted by February 1st to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Offering Type
Independent Research, Internship, Research Assistant
College, Engineering, LPS, Nursing, Wharton