Functioning as an independent college at Peking University, Beijing, the Academy offers students a Master of Arts in China Studies with a curriculum that covers six broad categories: Literature and Culture; History and Archaeology; Philosophy and Religion; Politics and International Relations; Economics and Management; and Law and Society. Academy courses will be available in both English and Chinese.
Fellowships for international Yenching Scholars are for twelve months, during the course of which they complete their coursework and may complete the thesis. A limited number of financial aid packages are available for those who wish to remain on campus for a second year. Degrees are granted upon the completion of all coursework and satisfactory defense of the thesis, and are awarded in January and July of each year.
Yenching Academy of Peking University is hosting a series of virtual open sessions for prospective students on Yenching's strongest research areas from mid-October through late November. Current and past students of the Academy and Yenching Associate Dean, Dr. Brent Haas, will host. View Yenching's research areas and register here.
Penn Deadline for currently enrolled Penn students: November 15, 2022, 4:00pm
NOTE: Alumni who are citizens of nations other than the US or Canada must also apply for Penn endorsement by November 15, 2022, in order to meet Yenching's non-US and Canada application deadline. If you are uncertain whether you fall under the non-US and Canada deadline, please contact Yenching Academy's Admissions Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Penn’s Application Process
The Yenching Academy program accepts nominations from institutions – students may not apply independently. To apply to be one of Penn’s nominees, you must complete the following steps by Penn’s Internal Deadline of November 15, 2022, 4:00pm.
- Applicants must complete and submit this Yenching application form and submit it as part of your application to Penn.
- This year, Yenching Academy has announced that Peking University will only accept recommendation letters written by full professors or associate professors. Please check each potential recommender's webpage to ascertain their academic rank. If you are uncertain about their rank, please email Dr. Genser at email@example.com.
- As soon as you have arranged for letters of recommendation, complete and submit this Yenching recommendation form, which you must send to each of your recommenders and which must be submitted by recommenders to CURF along with their Yenching recommendation letter for you.
- Complete Penn’s CURF Fellowships Nomination Request for the Yenching Academy. Here, you will upload a single PDF which combines your completed Yenching application form, your personal statement, CV/resume, and unofficial transcript from Penn InTouch (and other institutions, if relevant). If you do not receive an email confirming your submission within 4 hours, please IMMEDIATELY email firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure CURF has received your submission.
- Nominated students will receive further instructions.
- After being nominated by Penn, applicants must also complete and submit the Yenching application. Applicants should NOT complete the “Recommenders” section of the online application. Since Penn submits each candidate’s two letters of recommendation by email, nominees should simply enter their recommenders’ information (name, title, etc.) in the Yenching application system, but enter email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org instead of the recommenders’ email addresses, then click “send request.” This will prevent unnecessary work for recommenders.
Dr. Wallace Genser
Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships
The ARCH, 3601 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6224
You may schedule an appointment with Dr. Genser
International (Not UK), Asia
Senior, Alumni, Graduate Student