The Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Scholars Program offers stipend-paid internship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate-level university students pursuing STEM degrees, as well as upper-level high school students; select locations also offer internships to university students pursuing education-related degrees and K–12 professional educators. The selected interns gain valuable hands-on experiences working with full-time AFRL scientists and engineers on cutting-edge research and technology and are able to contribute to unique, research-based projects. Graduate interns are able to collaborate with AFRL on current research and incorporate the research into their graduate work.
Depending on the location of the internship, application deadlines will vary.
- Exciting research topics
- Technical training
- Mentorship from experienced AFRL scientists and engineers
- Opportunities to tour AFRL laboratories
- Networking through social events
- Competitive stipend rates
For additional information and to apply, please visit: https://afrlscholars.usra.edu/.
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is highly encouraged for all applicants
- Must be a US Citizen; program is not open to non-Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Must be enrolled or accepted at an educational institution taking at least half-time academic course load leading to a degree or certificate for semester immediately preceding internship session. Note: This does not apply to professional educators.
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid driver’s license
- Must be available to work full-time (40 hours per week) for summer internship positions
- Must be willing to temporarily relocate to physical work location
- Must be able to take personal responsibility for arranging transportation to and from worksite each day. Note: Scholars should not rely on transportation from anyone who does not already have base access. Program administration will not be responsible for making additional arrangements on a scholar’s behalf to provide suitable transportation.
- Must be able to pass a background check, potentially resulting in a Secret Security Clearance
Research Offering Type
Independent Research, Internship, Research Assistant
College, Engineering, LPS, Nursing, Wharton