When I arrived at Penn, I knew I wanted to get involved in research, but without prior experience, I felt intimidated and lost on how to begin. However, with some guidance and time, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to join a lab filled with projects that suited my niche interests (ex. oral-systemic link) and conduct research under the mentorship of Dr. Dana Graves at Penn Dental Medicine through PURM. The Graves Lab studies several aspects of oral biology, with recent interests focusing on the impact of diabetes, a systemic condition, and gene deletion in wound healing and in periodontal disease. During my time in Graves Lab so far, I have learned about the importance of the “re-” in “research,” gained experience and knowledge in both wet and dry lab techniques, assisted in oral surgery on mice, and more. I also cherish being able to work with, learn from, and create bonds with visiting scholars from around the world, dentists, postdoctoral and postgraduate researchers, and current dental students. I would love to guide aspiring student researchers in achieving their specific goals, finding research opportunities suited to their interests and passions, and realizing the exciting variety and tangibility of research at Penn!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions about identifying personal research interests, reaching out to professors, the research process in general, and even getting to know about what research may look like as an undergraduate student! In addition to research, I would also be excited to talk about music, archery, and being a pre-dental student at Penn!
- Fall 2023 CURF Research Expo (https://presentations.curf.upenn.edu/poster/oral-mucosa-enriched-inflammatory-fibroblasts-diabetic-mice)
- University Scholar (Fall 2022)
- Ernest M. Brown, Jr. College Alumni Society Undergraduate Research Grant - $1,000 amount awarded (Fall 2022)
- National Collegiate Research Conference Presenter (Fall 2021)
- Student Researcher - Dr. Dana Graves, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (Summer 2021- Present)
- Penn Undergraduate Research Mentoring Program (PURM) Grant Recipient (Summer 2021)
- Poster presentation at Penn CURF Fall Research Expo 2021 (https://presentations.curf.upenn.edu/poster/diabetes-and-foxo1-deletion-oral-mucosal-wound-healing)
- Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award (Fall 2019)
Additional groups/interests: Penn Symphony Orchestra, Penn Pre-Dental Society, Dental Bridges, Penn Archery
Academic Major(s): Neuroscience